GM Interview: Bpk. Agus Suananda at Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali
The General Manager of the finest resort in East Bali, Bpk. Agus Suananda is a true Balinese who is passionate about his culture and tradition. With decades of experience from all around the region, he seamlessly combines the very best in hospitality and service with every wonderful aspect of the Balinese culture to provide his guests with a spectacularly unique experience. Recently, Bpk. Agus Suananda spoke with Bali Plus Magazine on what drives him and his plans for Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali.
1. You have extensive experience throughout the years. Why did you choose Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort for your current posting?
Well, it is a long story. I considered Wyndham as it is a large and well-respected hotel chain with various properties located all around the world. I wanted to develop and grow my career with a prestigious and renowned establishment like Wyndham.
2. Do you have any immediate plans for the resort that you would like to share with us?
Yes, we are currently ugrading Jivva Beach Club to compete with the other up-scale properties located nearby. Jivva Beachclub is a spectacular open-air bamboo structure built on a sprawling green lawn overlooking the exotic black sand beach of East Bali. It is open to non-staying guests, who are welcomed to visit for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner or even for cocktails and drinks. Guests will have access to the resort’s Beach Pool, the beach itself and the gardens. Live entertainment takes place every Saturday night with a band and a DJ on decks. Come by! It will prove to be a fun and relaxing experience that is different from anything you’ll get in South Bali.
3. How will you combine your unique expertise and experience with Bali’s authentic culture and tradition for the benefit of your guests and the resort?
I believe that each individual has his or her own unique expertise, skills and talent depending also on experience and background. As a Balinese, I don’t have any difficulties in combining my culture with the resort’s guests activities, as Balinese culture is very obviously part of my daily routine. At Wyndham, we try to engage with our guests as much as we can, and we know that they are very interested in Balinese culture and traditions.
Here at the resort, guests can join in the making of the Balinese Canang Sari, a daily offering made with pandan leaves and flowers, join in our meditation and yoga classes, embark on a mini-pilgrimage to nearby holy sites and temples and even participate in a Balinese blessing ceremony with holy water. There is so much to see, try and do here at Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali, the possibilities are endless. Simply ask one of our friendly staff and we’ll arrange an experience for you.
4. The Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali is a prestigious resort with many unique offerings. Wellness, health, dining, retreat facilities and an amazing beachfront location in East Bali seem to be the resort’s major selling points. Will there be plans to introduce new facilities, programmes or themes etc in the near future?
Absolutely. As part of our continued commitment to enhancing our property and service, we provide our resort’s guest with some choices: If guests would like to know the surrounding area, we offer them a tour around the city of Klungkung. Here they can explore the historical place of Kertagosa, the museum and the painting community of Kamasan Village.
There are many Cultural Attractions located nearby the resort including, Pura Goa Lawah, Kerta Gosa, Kamasan Village as well as Family Attractions like Bali Bird Park, Bali Safari and Marine Park, Mason Adventures, Bali Eco Cycling, Taman Nusa and so much more. Families will really enjoy their time while staying here at Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali, as we offer a unique insight into the “real” Bali, away from the hustle and bustle of city life, in an area that is still pristine, peaceful and untouched.
Our guests who prefer to just stay and relax at the resort can try our wellness programs consisting of yoga, meditation, spa and even premaculture activities, cooking lessons, traditional Balinese activities or just relaxing by the pool and beach to the sounds of nature.
5. Tell us more about the resort’s WOW factors. What would you like new guests to know?
We are immensely proud of our majestic floating lobby. It is definitely one of our WOW factors. It is beautifully designed, and resembles a floating island amidst clear shimmering waters. Our guests are immensely impressed with our floating lobby, and at night, thanks to cleverly designed lighting, it casts off a warm incandescent glow which you can see even from afar. We have two fantastic outdoor swimming pools, one overlooking the beach which is peaceful and crowd-free, acres of charming tropical gardens with natural ponds and streams, individual tropical spa huts built using natural and sustainable materials like wood, bamboo, grass and stones, which makes for great photo backdrop if you’re not busy enjoying yourself with a spa treatment. Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali provides the ideal setting for a seamless and luxurious experience amidst nature.
6. There are different room categories here at the resort. Which ones are the top favourites among guests and why? Any plans to add on to the room categories?
Many of our guests love our Oceanfront Suites that come with a Jacuzzi or a Pool within the rooms itself with views that overlook the sea. These rooms are spacious and comfortable, and great for couples, friends, solo travellers and even families.
7. One of the best things about Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali is the health and retreat options available. Could you speak more about this?
You are right. One of the most alluring and exciting offerings available at Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali is our Tirta Spa. “Tirta” is the Sanskrit word for “Holy Water”. At Tirta Spa, we focus on bringing you on a rejuvenation journey with our pampering spa services that soothes and rejuvenates. Tirta Spa uses traditional healing techniques with a ‘high-touch, low-tech’ approach. We utilize organic and natural quality ingredients, combined with Balinese ‘Taru Pramana’ to bring you one of the best spa experiences you can possibly get in Bali. Each tropical spa hut comes with an outdoor rain shower and a gorgeous stone tub for relaxing soaks. The Tirta Spa and Wellness Centre comprises a cluster of eight thatched-roof huts for your own private spa experience.
8. Which restaurant/foods at the resort is your personal favourite and why?
We have two restaurants onsite, all-day dining at Bumbu Restaurant and Jivva Beach Club for a more relaxed dining on a beachfront setting. Honestly, I like both of them as they provide different types of foods. Authentic Indonesian or Balinese favourites are available at Bumbu Restaurant while Jivva Beach Club serves an International menu with a wide array of cocktails and drinks.
9. What are the advantages guests can obtain from being here in this location and at Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali?
The resort is located in a peaceful and tranquil spot, tucked away from crowded places and tourists. It gives you a dedicated space to spend that ‘me time’ and ‘we time’ that we all desperately lack. Either you are a honeymooner or family travellers, here, it is about peace and enjoyment in an exclusive and serene setting.
Not only that, guest staying at all Wyndham properties can join in the Wyndham Rewards Program and be rewarded.
As a member, you can:
· Earn points for Qualified Stays at over 7,800 participating hotels around the globe, including: Baymont Inn & Suites®, Days Inn®, Dolce Hotels and Resorts®, Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham®, Howard Johnson®, Knights Inn®, Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham®, Ramada®, Super 8®, Travelodge®, TRYP by Wyndham®, Wingate by Wyndham®, Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®, Wyndham Garden® Hotels, and Wyndham Grand® Hotels and Resorts. Stay everywhere from North America to Europe to China and more.
· Redeem Wyndham Rewards points for Go FreeSM free night stays or for Go FastSM discounted hotel rates at participating hotels from the following brands: Baymont Inn & Suites, Days Inn, Dolce Hotels and Resorts, Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, Howard Johnson, Knights Inn, Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham, Ramada, Super 8, Travelodge, TRYP by Wyndham (Go Fast awards not available at TRYP by Wyndham), Wingate by Wyndham, Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, Wyndham Garden, and Wyndham Grand Hotels and Resorts. You can also redeem points to obtain a Go Free Condo or Go Free Home free night or a Go Fast Condo or Go Fast Home discounted stay.
· Redeem points for a variety of other rewards, such as gift cards and merchandise.
· Earn miles or other travel partner currency from participating airline and rail programs instead of Wyndham Rewards points for your Qualified Stays. Simply update your earning preferences in your member account. See our full list of participating partners.
· Earn additional points through everyday purchases and other transactions with a variety of program participants, including our Wyndham Rewards® Visa® Card. Learn more.
· Gain access to your member account 24/7 to check point balances, redeem points for rewards and make reservations simply by visiting wyndhamrewards.com.
10. Is the resort involved in an active charity programme? How do you give back to the community? What specifically is done to ensure that the local communities or the environment benefit directly from partnerships with the resort?
Yes, certainly. As the only 5-star resort located in the mainland of Klungkung, we are actively involved in and committed to giving back to the surrounding communities that we are in. For example, at least 40% of our workers are from the surrounding areas. We also prioritize services provided by Balinese suppliers and vendors including entertainment, guests’ transportation, food and beverages and more. We empower and support the local communities by donating funds to the local Subak association on a monthly basis – Subak is the unique and one-of-a-kind Balinese engineering marvel; an irrigation system that supplies water throughout all of Bali for the purpose of farming.
11. Do you have any inside tips for guests who are planning to visit Bali and especially East Bali? What should people know, and any do’s and don’ts – from your own perspective?
Here’s a great guide on what to do and what not to do while you’re in Bali à Do’s and Don’ts while in Bali.
12. Tell us more about your leadership style and personal management philosophy? What do you like the most about your staff and how do you inspire them? Are there programmes created to bring staff closer together and to inspire teamwork, etc?
I lead my team by example (leading by doing), and that has inspired them a lot. By doing this, we increase engagement with the staff. On a monthly basis, I spent one or two hours of my time to meet them for a ‘Sharing is Caring’ program. During these sessions, one person from each department can ask me anything work-related that they like, including career development and growth plans.
13. What are your favourite things about the resort – your personal perspective?
I like the unique design of the resort blended together with nature.
14. Do you have a favourite Balinese dish?
I like Sate Lilit Languan of Klungkung. Its all about fish J
15. What are your favourite things about Bali?
I love Bali so much. What makes Bali everyone’s favourite is the spiritual vibration or Taksu that can’t be found anywhere else in the world.
16. What do you love most about being Balinese?
As a Balinese and born in Bali, I love the Balinese philosophy of life called as Tri Hita Karana. In Bali, the Balinese has life concept of Tri Hita Karana. Three angle point of Bali life concept. The Balinese Life Concept of Tri Hita Karana is fundamental from the Hindu Religion concept taking three angle points of harmony life concept. The concept of Tri Hita Karana is very popular as well as implemented throughout the Balinese life. Furthermore, it is also implemented by hotels, restaurants and Government offices, Schools etc. Moreover, other countries have also adopted this life concept because very important to keep the life balances and earth. The Balinese Traditional Architecture is not only monumentally, but also has the aspect philosophies and religious. The cosmogony is oneness of three worlds (Tri Bhuana) which is called Bhuhloka, Bhwahloka, as well as Swahloka. Each of this world (Loka) has habitats it self.
Tri Hita Karana – Concept for life
In addition of this three concepts cosmogony, it is also own contextual with Hindu Religion Concept. This Balinese Life Concept is called by Tri Hita Karana (three of the harmony or balance to create the peaceful as well as happiness). Tri Hita Karana word comes from the Sanskrit Language that has meaning to keep the harmony as well as balance between human to God, human-to-human and human to the environment. Furthermore, these three Balinese life concepts are most popular in Bali spread out as follows: Parhyangan, Pawongan, Palemahan.
17. Anything else that you would like to add?
If you are planning to visit Bali or still in Bali and looking for a nice hotel with unique designs and a quiet and peaceful atmosphere, please stay with us. There are 10 reasons why Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort is the best place for you to stay:
1. It is the epitome of serenity
2. Be captivated by the stunning sunset every evening
3. Locally inspired rooms with a modern touch of luxury
4. Enjoy a revitalizing spa experience at Tirta Spa
5. Delight in a rich dining experience
6. A space perfectly built for self discovery and rejuvenation
7. Chill out over great music
8. Go out and explore
9. For a truly intimate and exclusive experience
10. A warm touch of hospitality
Wyndham Tamansari Jivva Resort Bali
Pantai Lepang, Jl. Subak Lepang No. 16, Takmung, Jivva, Bali
Ph: +62 366 543 7988