Located in Seminyak’s most prime location, Jackson Lily’s no longer needs any introduction. Since its grand opening in May 2018, this mecca for those with a curious nature, the brainchild of Master Chef and culinary icon, Dean Keddell continues to impress and had since changed the face of Seminyak’s dining scene forever. The menu at Jackson Lily’s offers carefully curated and beautifully presented dishes which showcase the diversity of cultures and cuisines from all over Bali and Asia. It is beautiful storytelling through flavours, and the entire menu at Jackson Lily’s tells of the places Dean has travelled to and the people he has met along the way.
But before Jackson Lily’s, there was Ginger Moon. Here on Seminyak’s famous “Eat Street”, Ginger Moon Canteen is what Dean calls “a simple Asian eatery” where guests can expect fun and interesting spin to the foods of Indonesia (Bali in particular) and China while creating original and memorable dining experiences. The cuisine is best described as “Asian innovation”. Think Steamed Buns, Dumplings, Noodles, Peking Duck Pancakes, Rendang Pizza, Wok Fried fresh water fish and Smoky Beef ribs. Astonishingly casual dishes that that fit perfectly with the ‘canteen’ and “sharing” style of Ginger Moon.
Signature Dishes at Ginger Moon:
- Peking duck, pancakes, spring onions, cucumber, plum hoi sin sauce
- “Bali nachos” – spiced chicken, sambal, herbs, lime, avocado, crackers
- Steamed buns – Babi guling (suckling pig), lawar
- Shanghai style jiaozi, black vinegar, chilli, garlic
- Salad – Soft shell crab, watermelon, beng kwang, cucumber, pomelo, lime, chilli
- Pizza – Roasted cauliflower curry, semi dried tomato, mozzarella, curry leaves
- My mother-in-law’s chicken curry, rice cake “it’s the real deal”!
The cocktail menu follows in the same vein, locally inspired, creative concoctions that are sure to delight. “It’s A Sharing Thing” is the driving culture and ambition of Ginger Moon Canteen whilst at Jackson Lily’s – “It’s A Togetherness Thing!” is a beautiful message. “We believe that whenever people share a meal with friends, family or loved ones, this is when they are at their happiest,” said Dean. Guests at both restaurants are encouraged to order several dishes to share and take time to savour every exquisite flavour.
Signature Drinks at Ginger Moon Canteen:
- Ginger mist – light rum + coconut rum over ice, shaken with muddled ginger + pineapple juice
- Local – citrus vodka + muddled ginger & kaffir lime leaf + lychee & lime juice, shaken, served straight up
- Bling bling – gin, blue curacao, dragon fruit syrup, lime, over crushed ice
- Frisky – currant vodka + orange liqueur over ice, followed by pineapple & grape juice
- Bees knees – bourbon whisky + lime cordial + orange juice + honey, over crushed ice
- Crazy ivan – vodka infusion – bali basil, lemongrass, ginger & chilli, shaken with passionfruit
- Oberoi cooler – gin + orange liqueur, cucumber, lemon basil, mint, lime, chili syrup
- Frozen fruit daiquiri – mango, pineapple, strawberry, passionfruit, lemon – lime, tamarind, dragon fruit
With the immense success of Ginger Moon, the idea came about to create Bali’s cathedral of flavours, Jackson Lily’s. The new restaurant is the expansion of Master Chef Dean Keddell’s vision which mirrors the concept behind Ginger Moon – excellent Asian home cooking – and carried it in a diverse and thrilling direction, without sacrificing the taste-homage to the ancestors. Master Chef Dean said, “When you dine, the emphasis should be on where you are in the world. The menu at Jackson Lily’s reflects this and pushes the diner to expand their palate without going too far into the unknown.”
The menu here at Jackson Lily’s is large and varied; there are themed banquet menus designed for two people. “Flavours of Bali” focuses the island’s favourites featuring Tempeh Chips with Mango Tamarind Dip, Chicken Rendang Wontons and the Balinese Chicken Curry, Ayam Menyatnyat. “Further East” takes the diner to the Orient, with Spring Rolls, Prawn Wontons, Steamed Pork Belly Buns, Beef Meat Balls in Hoi Sin Orange Sauce and Chinese Broccoli. The “Evy” is more suited for vegetarians; there are Papadums and Mango Tamarind Dip, Dumplings of Water Spinach, Basil, Ricotta, Lemon and Chili, Black Rice Salad and Laksa.
The ala carte menu is a plethora of mouthwatering goodness – first timers wouldn’t be able to pick just a few! “Whilst You Ponder” offers Asian chips, Prawn Crackers, Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks, Pophia (fresh spring rolls) and more. There is a whole section for Dumplings and Buns; Steamed, Fried and a section for “Nice Buns” touching on distinct flavours from the Orient, Bali and the Middle East. There are, of course, a wide variety of salads including the Indonesian Gado-Gado, and a mix of Western and Asian. There are pizzas by the metre – ¼, ½ and 1-metre pizza that is perfect for sharing.
Signature Dishes at Jackson Lily’s
- Dumplings – Water spinach, basil, ricotta – lemon, ginger, chilli
- Salad – Roast pumpkin, baby beans, peanut sauce, kemangi, tempeh & sweet potato chips
- Crispy skinned pork belly, orange – anise reduction, chilli salt
- Bali Ramen – crispy chicken, chicken bakso, house-made noodles, soft egg, “soto” broth
- Barramundi with snake beans, lemongrass, ginger, lime, kemangi
- Pizza – by – the – meter
- House-made cakes
A list of creative, locally inspired cocktails (alcoholic and non), and a variety of beers are on offer as both a refresher and an accompaniment to the food. A small and surprisingly varied wine list representing the best value on the island keeps things interesting for the wine connoisseur. And a fresh tropical juice menu completes the enticing selection.
Signature drinks at Jackson Lily’s
- Hot in Seminyak – Gin, passionfruit, mint & lime
- Rumanass – Rum, grilled pineapple, mango, pineapple juice & ginger ale
- Where East meets West – Gin, lychee liqueur, pineapple, orange, rosemary
- Bali Illusion – Vodka, coconut, melon & blue Curacao liqueurs, pineapple, lime
- Kelapa Salju – Rum, coconut liqueur, young coconut, coconut milk, coconut sorbet, spices & lime
- Bedugul – Rum, lychee liqueur, strawberry, passion fruit, lime juice
- Jalan Jalan – Green tea infused gin, jasmine tea, lychee, lemon juice
“Nothing is regular here at all,” said Dean. “My ultimate aim is to create everlasting memories with one of life’s simplest but greatest pleasures – food; after all, sharing great food with friends, family and loved ones are memories to be treasured.”
The restaurant itself is beautiful, a vast space dedicated to cuisine in which to entertain and to be entertained by exciting, novel flavours and compelling artful presentation. Downstairs, the restaurant can accommodate 86 guests and upstairs at its semi open-air indoor and outdoor balcony, 83 guests can comfortably enjoy dining under Bali’s magnificent sky.
The ground floor is air-conditioned and features an open kitchen, lavish pastry display, and long, welcoming bar – which combine to give a great first impression. Upstairs, the breezy dining room and spacious all-weather balcony are perfect for early mornings, sunsets and evenings dining under the stars. The use of exposed steel and reclaimed teak throughout the building complements the warm and comfortable ambience. Situated in a prime location, on Seminyak’s main strip, the original building standing there before Jackson Lily’s was built, was gutted and completely rebuilt to Dean’s exacting standards; creating an ideal environment in which to savour his innovative Asian cuisine.
A family-friendly restaurant that welcomes people of all ages, a space such as Jackson Lily’s is a rare find in Seminyak. There is plenty of space for parking, and the menu comes in English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Russian and a Kids Menu for the little ones. Group bookings and private functions are also available for up to 200 people. Setting a new standard of excellence in Bali, Jackson Lily’s utilises high quality produce, local wherever possible, which is showcased in an exciting menu that blends the absolute best of East and West.
Ginger Moon Canteen is open 7 days a week from 11pm – 11pm. For reservations or more information, please call +62 361 734 533, SMS +62 81 2360 81718 or email Eat@GingerMoonBali.com and visit GingerMoonBali.com.